Skip to main content

Vicki Rafferty

Hocking County EMA

Veterans Service Commission
30657 Redrock Court
Logan, OH 43138

Phone (740) 385-7507
FAX (740) 380-2351

Veterans Claims

The County Veterans Service Officers (CVSO’s) are certified and trained by the National Association of County Veterans Service Officers and the Ohio Department of Veterans Services.


  • Obtaining a lost Discharge or DD-214
  • Set of Medals and Awards
  • Home Loan Guaranty
  • GI Bill Educational Benefits
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment
  • 10-10 EZ or 10-10EZR to enroll in VA Health Care
  • Reimbursement of Burial Expenses
  • Headstone or Marker
  • Burial Flag
  • Presidential Memorial Certificate
  • Burial in National Cemetery
  • Indigent Burials
  • and any other benefit you need help with

It is best to contact the Veterans Service Commission Office to see what evidence you must supply to complete a claims package.
Phone: 740-385-7507


The goal of the County Veterans Service Officer is to assist you filling out the claim forms and attaching the necessary evidence to make the claim as complete as possible so it can go immediately to the Rating Board for adjudication. The types of claims that can be filed are as follows:


Disabilities resulting injury or disease incurred in, or aggravated by military service, in the line of duty, and not as the result of misconduct. There are 5 ways to receive a service connected rating, Direct, Aggravation, Presumptive, Secondary, and Injury as a result of treatment. A service connected claim can be re-opened if the disability has worsened, or for a claim that has been denied, by providing new and material evidence to support the claim.


Provides financial support for wartime veterans or their widows, based on income and financial need. To qualify the honorably discharged veteran must have at least 90 days of active military service with at least one of those days being during a war time period. The veteran must be permanently and totally (P&T) disabled, and unable to obtain employment. The veteran or widow’s income must be below the income thresholds set by the VA, with un-reimbursed healthcare expenses being used to lower the income. A higher income threshold may be available to certain veterans who are housebound, or in need of the aid and attendance of another person. The VA considers a veteran P&T disabled at age 65. If younger than age 65, the veteran must produce medical evidence to prove he/she is P&T disabled. For an eligible widow, this is commonly referred to as a widow’s pension and being P&T disabled is not necessary for the widow. A higher rate of pension can be obtained if the widow is housebound, or in need of aid and attendance of another person. This type claim is especially advantageous for eligible veterans and widows who reside in assisted living or nursing homes due to the healthcare costs involved.


Widows, widowers, minor children, children 18-23 going to school, and dependent parents, may be eligible for DIC if the veteran dies as a result of his service-connected disabilities. Even where the veteran’s death is not service-connected, the widow and/or children may be entitled to receive DIC if the veteran was rated or the alternative, was entitled to receive compensation, at 100%, or 100% due to Individual Unemployability ( I.U.) for at least 10 years immediately prior to his death. Also a veteran’s dependents may be eligible if he is rated, or the alternative, was entitled to receive compensation at 100%, for a period of not less than 5 years after his discharge from active duty.